Tuesday 23 December 2008

All I Want for Christmas

It's funny how as you get older, the less magic you see around you. A child can concoct a whole world with just a little imagination, and an adult? An adult refuses to see something beyond it's material.

I remember how psyched I used to be about Christmas. It was Christmas! A magical season of happiness and presents, of course. I even made my sister bake a batch of cookies and lay them out on the coffee table for Santa, of course I wouldn't let her get all the credit from Santa, so I sloppily poured a glass of milk, most of it hit the floor instead of the glass, but that didn't matter. I stayed up as late as I could, trying to disguise myself behind the staircase banisters so Santa wouldn't see me, ocassionally I got peckish and stole a cookie from the plate, I thought my family would think Santa had eaten all of them so it didn't make a difference right? I think the left the plate with 1 cookie by the end of the night.

I know I got tired waiting for Santa, and my mother constantly telling me he wouldn't show up if I waited for him, so the fear of no presents on Christmas was enough to drive me to bed in a flash.

The next day, the little school socks I had hung up by the window were filled with chocolate and candy, I jumped up on my bed and screamed "Santa came last night!", all our socks were filled to the brim, and the Christmas Tree was bombarded with gifts.

The festive spirit was so strong in those days, making everything seem so much more joyous and.. enchanting. Today, Christmas doesn't feel like the most magical time of year, it feels like another hassle of getting gifts for everyone and spending all your money.

So Santa, all I'm asking for is a little enchantment this Christmas Season. Make it a memorable one, Please?

1 comment:

Scandalesque said...

I was wishing for the same thing. I WANT MY CHRISTMAS SPIRIT BACK ! :|
Haha, anyway, I used to do that cookie thing too. :D Nice entry. You made me remember it. :))

My word verification word is...reentz. :| =))