Friday 17 April 2009

Glass panes and White walls



I am waiting for something to shake my life. This thing, I don't know what it is, I don't know the magnitude of it, I don't know when it'll come. I just want that big slap in the face, that gives me some direction. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing when every today is the same as yesterday and the tomorrows don't have anything coming. I am content with my life as it is, but I want something that just makes things clear.

Life is like a room with a window, a huge, dusty window. When we feel trapped, we try to look outside to the comfort of the beautiful garden, but the dust is often too thick. We try and try, we strain our eyes and claw at the glass, fighting for the answer. Our own anxiety and desperation keeps us from noticing the glass cleaner often in our hands. Sometimes we miss it entirely, and break the window with a clenched fist just to peek outside. In this case, the window is ruined, we see the answer, but we took the wrong road. Those who break the glass usually end up regretting their violence when they see their bloody hands, but everyone breaks the window at least once in their lives. Those with enough sense to use the gentle approach of the glass cleaner manage to get their answers, maybe not to everything, but they have what they need to know. After time, dust settles on the window once again, and we struggle for our answers once more.
I think, it's only when you're older, after many attempts at seeking answers, breaking and cleaning the window, we realise that the beauty of the room is the whole thing, what we have drawn on the walls, and the whole window, broken glass, dust and all.



No comments: