Tuesday 14 April 2009

Snow on Cedars


I was browsing around SparkNotes when I decided to look through book guides, I found some pretty neat quotations from books i had read a while back, decided to paste them here. I'd appreciate it if you left a carving telling me about whichever comment you liked, or hated, even better if you wanna react. You can also comment about a typo which might accidentally occur if you want ;)


You see, . . . you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too — even when you're in the dark. Even when you're falling.
- Tuesdays with Morrie

“The Bible represents a fundamental guidepost for millions of people on the planet, in much the same way the Koran, Torah, and Pali Canon offer guidance to people of other religions. If you and I could dig up documentation that contradicted the holy stories of Islamic belief, Judaic belief, Buddhist belief, pagan belief, should we do that? Should we wave a flag and tell the Buddhists that the Buddha did not come from a lotus blossom? Or that Jesus was not born of a literal virgin birth? Those who truly understand their faiths understand the stories are metaphorical.”
- The Da Vinci Code

There was only this perfect sympathy of movement, of turning this earth of theirs over and over to the sun, this earth which formed their home and fed their bodies and made their gods . . . Some time, in some age, bodies of men and women had been buried there, houses had stood there, had fallen, and gone back into the earth. So would also their house, some time, return into the earth, their bodies also. Each had his turn at this earth. They worked on, moving together—together—producing the fruit of this earth.
- The Good Earth

It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls, but only that we had loved them, and that they hadn't heard us calling, still do not hear us, up here in the tree house, with our thinning hair and soft bellies, calling them out of those rooms where they went to be alone for all time, alone in suicide, which is deeper than death, and where we will never find the pieces to put them back together.
- The Virgin Suicides

I . . . looked in the mirror. . . . I was strong. I was pure. I had genuine thoughts inside that no one could see, that no one could ever take away from me. I was like the wind. . . . And then I draped the large embroidered red scarf over my face and covered these thoughts up. But underneath the scarf I still knew who I was. I made a promise to myself: I would always remember my parents' wishes, but I would never forget myself.
- The Joy Luck Club

I seen hundreds of men come by on the road an' on the ranches, with their bindles on their back an' that same damn thing in their heads . . . every damn one of 'em's got a little piece of land in his head. An' never a God damn one of 'em ever gets it. Just like heaven. Ever'body wants a little piece of lan'. I read plenty of books out here. Nobody never gets to heaven, and nobody gets no land.
- Of Mice and Men

3 comments:

michelle said...

oh i love tuesdays with morrie. i read it quite a while ago, so i don't really recall that quote. but that's my favorite. story of my life. :D
of mice and men makes me a little nostalgic. wasn't it just 2 years ago we were watching lenny and george?
oh, and thanks for telling me. it's interesting to see what other people think as well.

thank you! yours is neat. remember we used to blog on msn? good times, good times.

Joanna said...

Ohh Michelle :) I remember those windows spaces. Seem like so long ago.
Hahahha, and Ms. Leng's english classes. We studied Joy Luck Club there, too. I recall the watermelon. I love Mitch Albom, he's my favourite author. :)

alcie said...

virgin suicides! amazing book!